Il tuo browser non supporta JavaScript!

Per Pellegrino Pellegrini a Tortona. Pio V, il cardinale Della Chiesa e la cattedrale a San Francesco (1570-1572)

digital Per Pellegrino Pellegrini a Tortona. Pio V, il cardinale Della Chiesa e la cattedrale a San Francesco (1570-1572)
Articolo
rivista ARTE LOMBARDA
fascicolo ARTE LOMBARDA - 2015 - 1-2
titolo Per Pellegrino Pellegrini a Tortona. Pio V, il cardinale Della Chiesa e la cattedrale a San Francesco (1570-1572)
autori
editore Vita e Pensiero
formato Articolo | Pdf
online da 12-2015
issn 0004-3443 (stampa)
€ 6,00

Ebook in formato Pdf leggibile su questi device:

A recently discovered document provides evidence about Pellegrino Pellegrini’s role in an early phase of the project for the new cathedral in Tortona. The historic cathedral was expropriated in the mid-sixteenth century in order to enlarge the hilltop fortifications. A number of churches in Tortona’s lower town were then proposed as substitutes, but the suppression of the Humiliati provided Pope Pius V and Cardinal Giovanni Paolo Della Chiesa with the means required to reshape the city. The Humiliati’s urban convent of San Marco would be turned over to the Conventual Franciscans, liberating their suburban friary of San Francesco for use by the bishop and the cathedral canons. A sum of 10,000 scudi would finance enclosing the friary in a new segment of city walls and adapting the church to its new use. Della Chiesa administered the finances and effectively became the patron of a project intended to enlarge the city and provide it with a new ecclesiastical center. On 9 December 1572, Della Chiesa’s procurator and a number of building officials met to define the terms for financing the project. Pellegrini served as a witness; he had certainly visited the site and perhaps was preparing designs for the fortifications and the church. In the end, the project did not proceed according to plans. Della Chiesa decided upon a less expansive solution: obtain a central site within the existing city walls and build a new church. While the authorship of that new church remains in question, Pellegrini had employed his skills as an architect and military engineer to participate in the urban project that preceded it.

Consulta l'archivio