Il tuo browser non supporta JavaScript!

Un cantiere per un capitolo canonicale di prestigio: Santa Maria Maggiore di Vercelli nel XII secolo

novitàdigital Un cantiere per un capitolo canonicale di prestigio:
Santa Maria Maggiore di Vercelli nel XII secolo
Articolo
rivista ARTE LOMBARDA
fascicolo ARTE LOMBARDA - 2019 - 2-3
titolo Un cantiere per un capitolo canonicale di prestigio: Santa Maria Maggiore di Vercelli nel XII secolo
A building site for a prestigious canonical chapter: Santa Maria Maggiore di Vercelli in the 12th century
autore
editore Vita e Pensiero
formato Articolo | Pdf
online da 07-2020
doi 10.26350/666112_000041
issn 0004-3443 (stampa)
€ 6,00

Ebook in formato Pdf leggibile su questi device:

The church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Vercelli was one of the most important 12th century buildings in northern Italy. It was consecrated in 1148 by Pope Eugene III and was demolished between 1776 and 1777. However, shortly before the destruction of the church, Nicola Nervi made some architectural drawing, copied by Edoardo Arborio Mella in the 19th century. therefore it is possible to investigate the demolished building in a fairly thorough way. the main portal (in a private courtyard) and a large part of the floor mosaics (at the Leone Museum) are preserved. the church had three naves, with a protruding transept, a deep choir bay, a single semicircular apse and galleries above the minor naves. the very ambitious project treasured the experiences gained in the major architectural sites of the time, especially Sant’Ambrogio in Milano, the cathedral of Santa Maria in Novara and the double cathedral (Santo Stefano and Santa Maria del Popolo) in Pavia.

keywords

architecture, Middle Ages, romanesque, Vercelli, Piedmont.

Biografia dell'autore

Università degli Studi di Ferrara; simone.caldano@unipv.it

Consulta l'archivio