New Discoveries on Federico Ferrario in the Territory of Lecco
The essay presents a series of new documents allowing to push back the
beginning of Federico Ferrario’s activity. The career of this artist is usually
structured in two distinct phases: the first (approximately 1750s and 1760s)
characterized by a constant presence in the Milanese territory – with brief
stays in Monza, Brianza, Orta, Lodi and even Piacenza –, the second (1760s-
1780s) by a frequent activity in the area around Bergamo.
His earliest works, approximately dated 1752, were so far identified as
those for the churches of San Filippo in Lodi and Sant’Angelo in Milan.
Now, two previously unknown paintings in the parish church of San
Giovanni Evangelista in Galbiate (Province of Lecco) push back the
beginning of Ferrario’s career – which still presents some black spots,
especially in the early stages – by a decade. The two pendants represent respectively, the Adoration of the Magi and the Last Supper, and they are
already documented in 1742. The essay also introduces other artworks
that could be attributed based on style to the Milanese painter, found in
the territory comprised among Abbadia Lariana, Mandello del Lario and
Lierna, on the East bank of the Lecco branch of Lake Como.