Ancient Partitions in Lombardy: the Case of Sant’Eustorgio
The article offers some insight considerations about the structure and
function of partitions and parapets as architectural-liturgical elements
documented in several Lombard churches in the Middle Ages. At the
present state of the studies, the gradual demolition of these parts since
approximately the 15th Century makes it difficult to be more precise
about the number and placement of the documented examples.
Nonetheless, particularly abundant and interesting information has been
found about the partition in the Dominican church of Sant’Eustorgio in
Milan, built in 1239 and heavily modified in 1279. This structure – the
position of which within the church is tentatively defined in this study –
should have been the original location of some pictorial works, such as
an imposing Crucifix in Venetian style erected in 1288 and still present
in the church, or two wood panels there situated in 1315, or immediately
after, and both unfortunately lost.